Stenbocki maja arhitektuur Stenbocki maja arhitektuur Stenbocki maja arhitektuur
Stenbocki maja arhitektuur

Stenbock House was designed as a public building, yet at the same time, the house was finished in a time of financial restraint. Thus the building looks decorous and unpretentious both inside and outside. The entire complex with its main building, arc-shaped outbuilding and courtyard follows the tradition of the times when town houses were built with the same layout as manors in the countryside.

The three-storey main building is an austere, balanced and massive classicist building. Both the façades facing the courtyard and the one facing the sea are simple and symmetrical. The facades are furnished with windows with stepped framings, dentil roof cornices, and pediments and cornices above the windows of the first floor.

Stenbocki maja arhitektuur

Six vertical pilasters and two semi-pilasters placed running through the second and third storeys and supporting the triangular dentil pediment – the decorative gable – emphasise the central axis of the façade facing the courtyard. The pilasters with voluted Ionic capitals are made of dolomite from the island of Saaremaa. The capitals fittingly and powerfully embellish the laconic façade of the building, demonstrating the suitability of Saaremaa “marble” for classicist architecture as a building material that has been used for centuries.

Stenbocki maja arhitektuur
Stenbocki maja arhitektuur

Six strong-shafted pilasters decorated with simple Doric capitals run through the first storey on the façade facing the sea. In the same place, a balcony supported by six Doric columns and surrounded by a classic balustrade extends to the second storey. This balcony had been demolished in 1889 but was restored in the course of the last reconstruction.

Stenbocki maja arhitektuur

The vaulted main gate is the entrance to the courtyard. The courtyard is bordered with cobblestones; the inner circle is paved with gray and red bricks and granite tiles. There is a patch of lawn and a linden tree in the centre of the circular courtyard.