Mr Taimar Peterkop has been the Secretary of State since 10 December 2018.
Since May 2015, Taimar Peterkop was in charge of the Estonian Information System Authority.
During the period 2000–2001, Peterkop worked as a lawyer at the Government Office and from 2001–2008, at the Ministry of Defence, the first four years of which was spent in the Legal Department as Head of the Office of International Law, and the last three years as Head of the Operations and Crisis Management Department.
2008–2010 Peterkop served as Defence Counsellor at the Estonian Embassy in Washington, D.C. After that, he was the Deputy Secretary General for Legal and Administrative Affairs of the Ministry of Defence.
Taimar Peterkop is a graduate of the University of Tartu School of Law and the United States Army War College, and holds a Master’s level degree in Strategic Management.
He was born in Tallinn, on 20 January 1977.
Secretary of State
The Secretary of State is appointed and released from office by the Prime Minister. Only a person with a higher education in law may serve as Secretary of State.
- The Secretary of State is in charge of organising the work of the Government of the Republic and heads the Government Office. As the head of the Government Office, the Secretary of State has the same rights as those granted to ministers as heads of their respective ministries.
- The Secretary of State prepares the agenda for each government sitting and takes part in sittings with the right to speak.
- The Secretary of State ensures that the draft legal acts of the Government of the Republic are in conformity with the Constitution and other legislation, and co-signs all government regulations and orders as well as the minutes of government sittings.
- The Secretary of State heads the work of the Selection Board of Top Executives in the civil service and gives its opinion on appointment and release from office of secretary generals of ministries.
- The Secretary of State is the keeper of the state seal and keeps records on use of the seal.
Previous Secretaries of State
Heiki Loot 2003-2018
Aino Lepik von Wirén 1999-2003
Uno Veering 1995–1999
Ülo Kaevats 1992–1995
Katrin Nyman-Metcalf 1990–1992
Arved Ruusa 1971–1990
Heinrich Mark 1953–1971
Artur Mägi 1945–1949
Helmut Maandi 1944–1945 and 1949–1953
Karl Johannes Terras 1920–1940
Theodor Andreas Käärik 1918–1919
The Government Office
- supports the planning of the government’s work, prepares the government’s programme and coordinates its implementation
- ensures that the government’s draft legal acts are constitutional and in conform to other legislation
- coordinates the shaping of Estonia’s positions and advises and supports the Prime Minister in European Union affairs
- organises public relations for the government and the Prime Minister and internal public relations work related to the European Union
- advises the Prime Minister on national security, organises the work of the Government Security Committee and manages the coordination of national securtity and defence management
- advises and supports the Prime Minister in directing the work of the Research and Development Council
- organises matters related to state and local government insignia and performs other obligations imposed on it by legislation and other legal acts